Saturday, July 6, 2013

June 28,2013 Krakow

We are in Krakow and the weather isn't cooperating.Overcast and ended with a torrential rain storm.We still ventured out to the city and came across the the Barbican Gate and city walls.The original rampart had 47 watchtowers and 8 gates.After you pass through the Barbican Gate you come to the walls and the Florian gate.
We continued our walk down the Royal Way and came to Main Market Square where we went to St.Mary's Church.St. Mary's Church has stood on this spot for over 8oo years.It was destroyed in 1241 by the Tartar invasion but has been rebuilt.The question is does the church have one or two towers.Actually it only has one,the second is a watchtower.Every hour a bugler plays a tune, signifying the enemy is approaching.This was done in hundreds of years ago.Today there are 12 buglers,all firemen and buglers.Each one works a 24 hour shift playing the bugle every hour.Back to St. Mary's.The alter piece is a woodcarving in 3 pieces which took 12 years to carve and was completed in 1489.The ceiling is painted in a blue starry scene and is beautiful.Above the choir are great scenes and are very nice.
In market square they have people selling flowers,outdoor cafes,etc.There is a large hall that use to be used for cloth sellers now it is still a hall for vendors selling there wares.Here you'll find beautiful pieces of Amber jewelry.I saw a piece I liked but of course it had to one of the most expensive pieces so I moved on.We went into St. Francis's Basilica were Pope John Paul 2 considered his church when he was Archbishop of Krakow.There is a plaque where he sat all the time in this church.After this somewhere along the way I lost Sam and I continued on hoping I would see him at the Wawel Castle.Needless to say he was at a different entrance and I didn't see him again until I made my way back to the bus several hours later.I made my way up to Wawel Cathedral and castle and just looked around.I ended up not going in and just walked around on the outside.Then the storm hit.Everything is quite close and you don't need to hope any buses etc. A nice walking town.

No comments: